12/4/09

She was positive for swine flu

Last June 2009 when my daughter was also a positive for this disease Swine Flu. First she had cough and cold and high grade fever. The doctor diagnosed her she had upper respiratory tract infection so they only ordered cough syrup, paracetamol for fever and antibiotic. I insisted them to do swine flu test but they refused because she was not a suspect. Only those who just arrived from other country are their only suspects and they required them to undergo Swine Flu test. My daughter was no history of travel abroad so they refused to do swine flu test . We only traveled in Vigan and she was almost everyday in the mall window shopping one -2 weeks before the onset of symptoms but the doctor does not consider that. Two times brought to Medical City begging for a test but doctor does not agreed . Three days already having a high grade fever and i am already worried for my daughter, she became also weak and no appetite to eat. I want a thorough examination before its too late. I research about swine flu disease and the symptoms i found is manifesting by my daughter except diarrhea. We went back to Medical City but they don't have anymore laboratory materials because non stop arrival of rich patients arrived for that disease and they maybe the one to be tested first . Everybody was panicking. I am determined that my daughter must have to be tested soon and be given the proper management because she is not improving with the initial medications prescribed so we tried St Luke Hospital. I relate the full history of my daughter in the emergency room and the good doctor gave the order after 2 hours waiting and it was done but i have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the result and went home again. I just put my daughter on bed rest, increase fluid intake, given citrus fruits and medication for cough and fever. One week after symptoms relieved but Swine flu test result was not yet finished. They said DOH was the one conducting the test and they have only 2 machines and only one is working. That machine can't accommodate all at once the specimens so i have to wait . They will be the one to give us the call once the result is with them. My daughter is already okey and she's already attending her class in the school regularly presuming also that she never had swine flue and the doctor was right of his diagnosis that no swine flu but Upper respiratory tract infection only . Meaning just having common colds and cough only.
But after three weeks, our telephone rung and lady wants to talk to my daughter, but i said she's in the school and asked who's on the line, i introduced myself that i am the mother. She said she's officer in charge in Infectious department of St Lukes Hospital and said "swine flu test result of your daughter is POSITIVE". I became speechless for maybe one minute can't accept that my daughter got Positive Result for swine flu test although i know that she's already okey . The caller advised me to pick up the anti-Swine Flu medicine in the emergency room and no need to quarantine my daughter anymore. I told her my daughter is already okey just only slight cough but no more colds and fever and eating well but my son and me are likely having fever . She advised me to pick up the anti-swine flu medication and will take by my son because he maybe infected already. We went to another private doctor The doctor advised to all of us to take 2000 mg. of vitamin C everyday. We took it for two weeks , with Gods Love the flu didn't continue or transferred to us. My daughter is okey until now. There was no reinfection.

What upset me that time .... Why the doctors only consider the patient for swine flu test those who came from abroad and those rich patient who traveled a lot? (maybe a standing order of the hospital)
Result of Swine flu test was too delayed. I just thank that my daughter recovered without taking anti -swine flu medicine. My daughter took only huge doses of Vitamin C . But how about those patient have severe symptoms and low resistance? The doctor won't prescribed the anti- swine flu medicine if result of swine flu test is not available. I hope those patient died reported in the newspaper that time are not the one who died of swine flu because no action immediately.

2 comments:

Gorgeous MUM said...

It's sad that the hospital only cared for those coming from overseas. But it is good that your daughter came out of it even without the swine flu meds. I think your care cured it in some way. Nothing could go wrong with a mother's touch!

Unknown said...

too bad to me, i have problem with my shout box